The Georgia State Board of Education defines a
gifted student as “ . . . a student who demonstrates a high degree of
intellectual, creative and/or artistic ability (ies), possesses
exceptional leadership skills, or excels in specific academic fields and
who needs special instruction and/or special ancillary services to
achieve at levels commensurate with his or her abilities.”
The Program for the Gifted is part of the Advanced
Academics Department and is funded by the state. The procedures for
identifying and placing students in the gifted program are governed by
the Georgia State Department of Education. Lamar County School System
uses the Resource Class delivery model in the elementary schools and the
Advanced Content Class delivery model in the middle and high schools.
Gifted Program Handbook 2014-2015
students participate in the gifted program for a minimum of 225 minutes
per week, and are supported by a certified teacher of the gifted.
Advanced Content Class
and senior high school gifted students are taught at least one period
per day in a content-based program by a certified teacher of the gifted.
In the high school, gifted students may also participate in Advanced
Placement, Directed-study courses, Dual Enrollment, and Mentorship.
To be eligible for gifted services, students must qualify in three of the following four areas:
Minimum of 96%ile in at least one sub-test area.
Minimum of 90% on the total reading, total math, or complete composite.
Minimum of 90% on an assessment for creativity.
1. Grades K-12 - Minimum of 90% on an assessment for motivation
Grades 9-12 - 3.5 G.P.A. for two consecutive semesters in English,
math, science, social studies, and foreign language if applicable.
• A qualifying score on a nationally normed test is required to meet the criteria in at least one area.
• Any data used to establish eligibility in one area shall not be used to establish eligibility in another area.
• Assessment scores are valid for two years.
• Private test data may not be used to determine eligibility. It may be used as a referral for further evaluation.